KeePassX

KeePassX 2.0 has arrived

We’re proud to announce the first stable release of the KeePassX 2 series after several years of development.

KeePassX 2.0 is using the new .kdbx (same as KeePass 2) database format.
You can import your .kdb database from 0.4 from the Database > Import KeePass 1 database.
This is a one-way process though. You can’t migrate back to the .kdb format.

New features include:

• Multiple attachments per entry
  • Add custom key/value pairs to entries
  • Open multiple database in one window

KeePassX 2.0 has been rewritten from scratch so some features (like showing expired passwords) are still missing.

The important changes compared to beta 2 are:

• Improve UI of the search edit.
  • Clear clipboard when locking databases. [#342]
  • Enable Ctrl+M shortcut to minimize the window on all platforms. [#329]
  • Show a better message when trying to open an old database format. [#338]
  • Fix global auto-type behavior with some window managers.
  • Show global auto-type window on the active desktop. [#359]
  • Disable systray on OS X. [#326]
  • Restore main window when clicking on the OS X docker icon. [#326]

You can fetch the new release from the downloads page.

No Comments and Pings are allowed at this moment.

90 Responses to “KeePassX 2.0 has arrived”

1. Henrik says:

As Daniel above pointed out support for KeepassHttp would be great so it would integrate in web browsers.

2. Martin says:

Thank you for this excellent piece of software! This immediately replaced “keepass2” with Mono runtime on my system!

3. Ben says:

How to disable auto-type?
    After importing my old keepass db, now suddenly autotype is on, and there is no way to generally disable it
    Do I really have to go to every entry and disable it one by one?

4. Sasha says:

Great! As others have said, support for keepasshttp would be amazing!!

5. wrkerr says:

Glad to see this branch has made it to a stable release.

I’m eager to start using KeePassX 2 on my primary Arch desktop, but would really like a way to access it remotely from a couple Android devices, and a Windows work laptop. All of the devices use Firefox.

If KeePassHttp support were added, would it and PassIFox facilitate this sort of setup? If not, could something similar be achieved with OwnCloud or DropBox?

6. Enemy of THE SOURCE says:

Hi,

Is there a possibility to get PPA not only for daily, but for stable branch too? I hate source codes. And repositories are way way way behind as always.

7. Dan says:

Does anybody know of a build of 2.0 that includes KeePassHTTP?

This repository has gone stale: https://github.com/jdachtera/keepassx

8. I think it’s awesome that ver 2.0 is finally released. However, I can’t help but wonder why there is no preview pane in ver 2.0? I find the preview pane to be one of the best features of KeePassX. I hope it makes its return in a future release. Thanks for all you do.

9. Metal_Heart says:

Thank you for your effort. This will improve my security because Keepass 2 is the only reason for me to have Mono installed. Any Windows compatibility is always a risk because of Windows malware.

10. Jesse V says:

I’d like to second Russell’s suggestion to restore the preview pane. I’m still getting used to the new changes and the new controls, but the preview pane is the one thing I’d really like to see restored.

11. Don Montalvo says:

Please add support for Apple Keychain, so when we enter our password, it actually sticks.

That *is* what the checkbox to the left of the password field is for, no? I’ll take my answer offline. 🙂

12. Carn says:

Hi, I love this 2.0 so far, thank you so much for all your work. KeepassX is definitely my favorite soft since I use it !
    Just a little thing : that would be great if the tray icon changed when the DB is locked, like it was doing in the 0.4.
    Have a good day !

13. Hmm. Seems there are some regressions. First, you can no longer turn the usernames into asterisks to hide them as you could in the previous release. Also, you can’t add/remove columns in the pane.

This might come from KeePass proper, but it seems we’re forced into a global namespace root, which I’ve never used. So now I must have a single “MyDatabase” master group, rather than many:

└── MyDatabase
       ├── Group 0
       ├── Group 1
       ├── Group 2
       ├── Group 3
    │   ├── Group 3/0
    │   └── Group 3/1
       ├── Backup
       └── Recycle Bin

The other UI oddity, is using the full UI for setting changes, new entries, edits, etc. rather than a simple overlay that just occupies only the space necessary.

I’m sure these sorts of things are getting worked on, but I’m not interested in creating a SF account to submit the bug, so I’m reporting here.

Thanks!

• Picante says:

I fully agree with Aaron regarding the ability to show user names as asterisks, but I think it is even more important to bring back the option to add/remove columns.

This feature not only serves the same purpose of the asterisks (since you can simply remove the “Username” column), but also lets you sort the list with different criteria. Regarding the latter, I found it extremely useful to have the list sorted by the “Last access” column (which was available in v0.4.4 but has been removed from this version).

I hope that this function be reintroduced in the next releases.

Thanks!!

P.S.: Despite the minimum requirements, I also tried v2.0 on an old Windows XP machine and it works flawlessly.

14. Gonzalo says:

Thank you very much for your efforts! The app is great! I use it everyday and been waiting for the 2.0 version!

15. ernierasta says:

Hi,
    thank you for great work you have done.
    It is essential soft for me, and v2.0 makes me very happy.

Wish you the best!

16. ztp says:

Will you the Ubuntu PPA be updated any time soon?

17. Wojciech says:

Thank you very much for this app.

18. Richard says:

Excellent version.

I’ve tried both keepass and keepassx on windows 7 last year(around May-July) and settled on Keepass. Later going to debian, I’ve chosen keepassx 0.43.

Later I’ve used the v2 beta version since August or September I think, however many custom icons I’ve imported from 0.43 were displayed broken.

The version also fixes it all and everything looks great again.

19. Billy says:

How about a big DOWNLOAD 2.0 button? I know we’re nerds but would help a lot of lay people figure this out faster.

20. Matt says:

I can’t switch from kdb to kdbx format because I share my database using dropbox and open it from other devices, such as keepassdroid on android. At the moment this prevents me from using keepassx 2.
    Would it be possible to add full kdb support to keepassx 2.0, in addition to its current import facility?

21. RR says:

The new UI looks clean and nice; but the lack of a preview pane is really painful; it was very useful being able to glance at notes before with just 1 click, as it now takes 3 clicks to do the same thing (double click entry, then click cancel to go back)

22. […] Este es un lanzamiento de lo más interesante, pues KeePassX 2 llevaba en desarrollo desde 2012 y la última versión considerada como estable, KeePassX 0.43, aún tenía más tiempo. Pero ha sido llegar 2015 y tras años de alfas, dos betas han bastado para que antes de terminar la temporada podamos disfrutar de KeePassX 2.0. […]

23. […] [1] – Release Notes KeePassX Version 2.0 […]

24. Michal says:

Good job! Thank you for releasing the new version. I’ve just got it when updated Debian and found it’s compatible with KeePass2, awesome!
    However I agree with some other comments that it would be nice if some old features were restored. I particularly miss the preview pane, this was sooooo useful.