As I briefly mentioned on the forum I’m currently rewriting KeePassX from scratch.
The main motivation behind this is the old codebase of KeePassX 0.* that has become unmaintainable over the years and support for the KeePass 2 (.kdbx) file format.
The goal for now is to gain feature parity with KeePassX 0.4.3 but I also have some ideas for new features (think of it as a long term roadmap):
- Auto-Type support for Mac OS X and Windows.
There is already an unofficial KeePassX version on the forum that supports auto-type on Mac OS X.
I don’t plan to make another 0.* release (especially not one with new features) so this will have to wait until KeePassX 2.
- Database synchonisation through various file transfer protocols (e.g. WebDAV, (S)FTP).
- Integration with various components on Linux.
This should include gpg-agent/ssh-agent integration and support for the upcoming freedesktop.org secret-storage specification.
- User interface that works well with small displays like the N900.
- Import and export other file formats (especially KeePass 1).
- Handling translations on Transifex.
This rewrite will take time especially since I’m the only developer at the moment.
So don’t ask me about a release date or the status of these features.
There is no guarantee that they will be implemented.
If you are interested in getting involved with the KeePassX development, now would be the perfect time.
I won’t be able to implement all these features alone so please contact me, drop a message on the forum or visit the IRC channel #keepassx on irc.freenode.net.