How can I backup my KeePass file?

How can I backup my KeePass file?

Postby snadders » 20 Jun 2007, 10:43

Hi,
I'm a real beginner having just converted to Ubuntu from windows. I've loaded and setup KeePass, looks good. But I can't find where the database is, or what it's called to be able to back it up!
Help!
Thanks
snadders

Postby Tarek » 01 Jul 2007, 14:12

The file is where you saved it to. By default the file dialog starts in your home directory. Maybe it's there.
Tarek
Admin

Backing up keepassx

Postby andavane » 10 Feb 2008, 20:31

I have a similar question.
I feel it is vital to back the database up to external device, i.e. a usb stick or similar.
In ubuntu this option does not seem to be present.
regards
john
andavane
KPX user

Finding the Database & backing it up

Postby swguy » 25 Jun 2008, 16:15

True, you cannot backup the database from KeePassX because the Save Database As window does not give you access to external devices, only the hard drive. So you must back it up like any other file.

:idea:
When you created the database, you named it and put it in a directory so you should know where it is. If not, select Open Database, and it should default to the directory where the current database was loaded from. Otherwise, search for files with extension kdb. If you did not use the kdb extension when naming the file, then use Save Database As in the File menu to save it under a new name and directory and then back up that file using Nautilus or one of the backup programs like Home Backup. :)
swguy
KPX user

Re: Backing up keepassx

Postby zemmybaat » 28 Dec 2008, 15:16

andavane wrote:In ubuntu this option does not seem to be present.

swguy wrote:the Save Database As window does not give you access to external devices, only the hard drive.)

you can access external devices/usb drive through /media from the Save Database As
zemmybaat
KPX user

Return to General Help