Keepass from command line???

Keepass from command line???

Postby Guest » 03 Mar 2006, 18:12

Is there / will there be a keepass which runs from command line?

I am accessing my computer at home(with fedora installed) with ssh from a windows computer at work and ofcourse i get the error:" keepass: cannot connect to X server "

Postby Tarek » 07 Mar 2006, 22:45

sorry, but currently it works only with gui
Tarek
Admin

Postby Guest » 18 Sep 2006, 22:20

Is there a plan for a command-line version? The code looks very clean, perhaps something that can decode and print a password on the command-line will not be too hard to write?

Re: Keepass from command line???

Postby Doh » 04 Mar 2010, 20:39

Honestly, the lack of a command-line program is the only reason I don't use KeePass. I want to have the option to get to my passwords without a gui, but also have a gui if I want.

Right now, I'm using pwsafe/Password Gorilla

If anyone ever makes a command-line password program that is KeePass-compatible, I'll switch to KeePassX
Doh
KPX user

Postby brettviren » 31 Oct 2010, 22:13

brettviren
KPX user

Full Name: Brett Viren

Postby Doh » 30 Dec 2010, 23:16

brettviren wrote:Time to switch? http://github.com/brettviren/python-keepass

Not until this program allows me to actually add to and edit my keepass database will it be time to switch. Are you planning on adding that ability anytime soon?
Doh
KPX user

Postby Doh » 31 Dec 2010, 01:37

This program on the other hand, seems to work pretty well, and allows adding, editing, removing, moving entries to other groups, etc.
It's kind of an odd way to do it, but if you're used to a Unix command-line, it's familiar.
Doh
KPX user

Postby brettviren » 31 Dec 2010, 17:51

Doh wrote:
brettviren wrote:Time to switch? http://github.com/brettviren/python-keepass

Not until this program allows me to actually add to and edit my keepass database will it be time to switch. Are you planning on adding that ability anytime soon?

No real plans. I was mostly interested in understanding the encrypt/decrypt parts. Adding more functionality like you want would be easy but somewhat uninteresting to me. Maybe someone will take this code and run with it in the direction you want.

I have some interest in turning this in to a backend for Python keyring. Then, any existing app based on keyring would get automatic support for KeePassX's file format.
brettviren
KPX user

Full Name: Brett Viren

Return to Open Discussion