Global Autotype for OS X: at last!

Global Autotype for OS X: at last!

Postby kar » 30 Oct 2009, 22:40

I have implemented Global Autotype for KeePassX OS X based on the 0.4.3 sources.

If you want to give the unofficial build from official svn repository sources a try, download

Image ( 7600 downloads; 26 donations (9 US 17 non-US); thanks guys for all the support )
KeePassX_0.4.3_OS_X_AutoType_svn.dmg (from mediafire.com)
KeePassX_0.4.3_OS_X_AutoType_svn.dmg (from rapidshare.com)

md5 d860a226375fc598a027752243828b25
sha1 4906c931a02c5658eb00b6ee327e5e52d751ad7f

which is a dmg file in which you will find KeePassX.app. Enjoy.

*** December 28, 2009 new links above

I have updated the unofficial KeePassX for OS X with the new Autotype token {CLEARFIELD} copied from KeePass 1.x for Windows. It clears the current field by typing a Control-A to move the cursor to the beginning of the line and then Control-K to kill to end of line. This method was chosen over Command-A to select all then Delete because the latter does not work in terminal windows and the former does.

*** April 15, 2010 new links above

I have updated the unofficial KeePassX for Mac OS X with Auto-Type to the latest 0.4.3 code base and to Qt 4.6.0.

I fixed a bug wherein invoking Auto-Type also warped the mouse to the position it was when KeePassX was started. This had to do with the annoying fact that posting a keyboard event also set the mouse location. I implemented a workaround for this.

I submitted a patch file for KeePassX at sourceforge. Let's hope it gets adopted.

*** May 20, 2010 NO new links above

I am pleased to report that for the last month I have been working with BDMAYES, the official maintainer of the Mac OS X release, to incorporate the Auto-Type patch into the mainstream code. That is now complete. Thus Auto-Type will appear in the next official release. When that may happen I do not know. If you are ambitious, you can download the source from the svn repository and build it yourself (not for the faint of heart).

It includes a new Auto-Type element {MACSENDKEYCODES} whose usage is explained in the Quick-start Guide accessible from Help.

*** June 5, 2010 new links above

As the official version has not yet been released, I have uploaded a version of KeePassX 0.4.3 for OS X built strictly from the official sources in the svn repository. The above links have been modified for this version. This includes Auto-Type and the aforementioned {MACSENDKEYCODES} element for Auto-Type strings.

{MACSENDKEYCODES} is used to turn off the optimized pasting of successive unicode characters in an Auto-Type string as a single key event. Although the optimization works in most cases, there are some contexts where it fails. One such context is X11 windows which are automatically detected causing the optimization to be disabled. When disabled, all characters are sent individually as separate key code events separated by the Key Stroke Delay found in the Advanced section of Preferences. Another more difficult failure context is typing to Flash implemented fields as found in rare web sites like hbo.com login. Since this situation cannot easily be detected, the {MACSENDKEYCODES} element can be placed at the beginning of the Auto-Type string on a per entry basis to disable the unicode paste optimization. Note that the entry can still be shared with other OS versions since all implementations simply ignore unknown elements.

kar
Last edited by kar on 27 Jul 2014, 21:53, edited 108 times in total.
kar
KPX user

Re: Global Autotype for OS X: at last!

Postby Dominus » 14 Nov 2009, 17:38

Rapidshare is pure evil when you don't have a premium account...
"all free user download spots taken, please try another time"

Anyway, thanks for taking this on, I looking forward to trying it, once Rapidshare allows me to download the file...
Dominus
KPX user

Postby kar » 15 Nov 2009, 04:00

Yes, rapidshare is evil but mediafire was giving me fits. I have now uploaded it there so try the link in the first post.
Last edited by kar on 14 Jan 2010, 17:16, edited 4 times in total.
kar
KPX user

Postby Dominus » 15 Nov 2009, 06:04

Thanks a lot, it's downloading now. I'll give it a spin tomorrow (it's late at night here right now :))
Dominus
KPX user

Postby alamarco » 23 Nov 2009, 20:25

Would just like to say thank-you for the hard work on getting auto-type to work for Mac.

Have you heard anything back from the creator of KeePassX on whether he'll/she'll be accepting the code in the official build?
alamarco
KPX user

Postby kar » 23 Nov 2009, 20:38

Have you heard anything back from the creator

No, I have had no response whatsoever.

In fact, I am rather surprised at the complete lack of response from anyone. I have yet to hear of a single person who has tried it and whether it worked or did not for them.
kar
KPX user

Postby alamarco » 23 Nov 2009, 21:16

I would love to give feedback, but I'm hesitant of trying an unofficial mod. I don't know any programming for Mac OSX and with school I have no time to really look at it.

No disrespect meant, but I'm not very trusting. In light of that, I'm in the process of looking for a network monitor so I can test your mod and would give you feedback.

It's a shame, that after almost a month the official developer has yet to comment on this. I remember earlier he/she had asked for help in this issue, so it's quite surprising.
alamarco
KPX user

Postby Dominus » 26 Nov 2009, 23:54

he he, and I was just thinking it's time to give feedback :)

I haven't had luck invoking the autotype via the configured global hotkey, but by clicking on an entry and hitting autotype it worked fine so far.
Thanks!
Dominus
KPX user

Postby kar » 27 Nov 2009, 05:43

Dominus: I haven't had luck invoking the autotype via the configured global hotkey

Were you able to define the hotkey? Did you see the one you thought you were defining showing up in the Global Auto-Type Shortcut box in the Advanced Tab? What hotkey are you trying? Write your response something like Ctrl-Alt-A or whatever. In fact try Ctrl-Alt-Z at least to see if that works. I use Ctrl-Alt-Z.

Are you using some language keyboard other than US-English? I have no way to try it on other keyboards.

Did you have Auto-Type-Window defined correctly in your entry? You can use the Tools menu in the lower left of the entry window from which you can choose Auto-Type: Select Target Window.

I would like to help you get it to work.
kar
KPX user

Postby opodder » 28 Nov 2009, 14:11

Kar.....thank you so much for getting this working. I am hoping this is going to mean I can finally stop trying to find an alternative (usable) cross-platform password management solution :D

For the cautious souls.....I use little snitch network monitor and there have been no outbound connection attempts from keepassx (about 1 hour of use including a couple of restarts of keepassx).

Global hot-key is working for me. I use ctrl-alt-a
I am running snow leopard 10.6.2 on a macbook pro with a UK keyboard layout and have not yet encountered a problem.

Where does the potential problem with a non-US keyboard lie? .... is it just with setting/invoking the global hot-key or is the potential problem that the auto-type performed (after auto-type is invoked) could be wrong?

Finally, can you please explain (or point me to pre-existing documentation) how closely the keepassx entry needs to match the title of the webpage for autotype to work well. For example my keepassx entry for my yahoo id was Yahoo Mail. But I needed to change this to Yahoo in order to invoke auto-type. Also, does the match need to be case-sensitive.

Thanks again.
opodder
KPX user

Postby kar » 28 Nov 2009, 19:20

Where does the potential problem with a non-US keyboard lie?

I don't know that there is any problem. I just have no way to test it myself. See the included README.TXT file, especially the Autotype and X11 sections, for a full discussion.

Finally, can you please explain (or point me to pre-existing documentation) how closely the keepassx entry needs to match the title of the webpage for autotype to work well.

See the KeePass 1.x Only section of KeePass Autotype

Generally, matching is NOT case sensitive and match strings in Auto-Type-Window: can have * (wild card) on either or both ends.

X matches only X

X* matches X, XYZ, etc

*X matches X, ABX, etc

*X* matches X, ABX, XYZ, ABXYZ, etc

*Yahoo Mail* will not match unless the window title has Yahoo Mail somewhere within it.

Optionally, if enabled in the Advanced tab of Preferences, the Title field of the Entry will be used to match anywhere within the window title, also NOT case sensitive.

I use FIrefox which has an extension named Hostname in Title bar that adds the domain name of the web page url to the title which can help to disambiguate very generic titles that some web sites use for login like amazon and microsoft's live.com.
Last edited by kar on 05 Jun 2014, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
kar
KPX user

Postby SammyDD » 28 Nov 2009, 21:55

Hi Kar,

Today i started using my new mac, i'm a newbie in the world of mac os.
Using windows en linux for a longtime and one of my must have apps is definitely keepass.
After Installing keepassX on my mac and trying to use the auto type function i was less happy on my new mac env.

But thanks to you that issue is now resolved.
So manny thanks to you man !! :D :D

I jest registered to thank you ..

Quiet a disappointment that the builder and or maintainer of the app still did not respond to your communication.

But i'm quiet happy with it.
Also i'm using little snitch and did not see any communication going somewhere else.(for those off you that are wandering).
I guess all is ok then.

So again manny thanks man. Keep up the good work
All the best Sammy
SammyDD
KPX user

Postby opodder » 28 Nov 2009, 22:12

Regarding use of non-US keyboard

I don't know that there is any problem. I just have no way to test it myself. See the included README.TXT file, especially the Autotype and X11 sections, for a full discussion.

I have tried with usernames and passwords that use character locations (e.g. ~ ) and key combinations (eg shift-3 gives £ and alt-3 gives #) on my UK keyboard that are different to the US layout. I have found no problems :D
opodder
KPX user

Postby kalimocho » 30 Nov 2009, 12:18

THANKS THANKS THANKS THANKS.

Kar, Thanks to add this option, at last i have the chance to use this amazing soft under my new mac.

only have words to say THANKS, works really fine, (not same like widnows because open a box asking something strange) but if i choose the first option work the autokey.

Once again thanks and i hope that this can mix in the official package.

best regards and sorry for my english is not native language for me.
kalimocho
kalimocho
KPX user

Postby kar » 30 Nov 2009, 17:06

kalimocho: not same like widnows because open a box asking something strange

Can you say more about this? Give as much detail as you can.

My best guess from what you wrote is that when you use the hot key sometimes you get a popup window with title "KeePassX - Auto-Type" from which you have to choose an entry. This happens when more than one entry matches the current window title and it is asking which one you want to use. Each row in the selection area is for one of the matching entries. In the Title column it will list the title of the entry. If your entry has no title, it will be blank which can be confusing. Put descriptive titles in your entries. If this is the case you write about, the best thing to do is try to make your match strings more strict so that they match only unique windows.

Your english is more than good enough and certainly better than I can speak your language - and I don't even know which language that is :D
kar
KPX user

Next

Return to KeePassX under Mac OS