Export - Import not working ?

Export - Import not working ?

Postby markh » 22 Aug 2009, 12:41

Hi, I am new to KeePassX so this could be me. Here is the problem:

I created an XML file with a number of passwords from another program (Password Gorilla)

Start KeePassX.

Imported the XML file.

I could see all the entries in KeePassX

Saved a KeePassX database.

Restart KeePassX and load the database.

All the entries had become empty ! Just placeholders left (an icon) but no information.

I then tried:

Restart KeePassX

Imported my XML file.

Export from KeePassX to an XML file

Check that the new KeePassX XML contained all the information - it does

Restart KeePassX

Imported the XML file created by KeePassX.

Saved a KeePassX database.

Reopened KeePassX an loaded the database.

All the entries had become empty ! Just placeholders left (an icon) but no information.

I am using KeePassX 0.40 on an up to date iMac with OSX 10.5.8

Can anyone reproduce this problem or am I making a mistake in my use of KeePassX ?

I created an XML file with a single entry that reproduces this problem on my machine. Can someone please try the import, save, close, open sequence with version 0.40

I tried attaching it to this message but get an error: The upload was rejected because the uploaded file was identified as a possible attack vector.

So I copy paste it here. But the post gets cut as soon as the <forwardslash title> tag appears.

Is it possible to post XML code in this forum ?

Regards,
Mark
markh
KPX user

Re: Export - Import not working ?

Postby markh » 22 Aug 2009, 12:58

A little bit of a sanity check. I confirmed that if I manually create an entry then it is stored in the DB and is still there after closing and reopening the DB. It seems only related to entries that are imported.
markh
KPX user

Postby markh » 22 Aug 2009, 13:12

I tried release 0.3.4 and get the same import behavior. So I guess it is something I am doing wrong ?
markh
KPX user

Postby markh » 22 Aug 2009, 13:48

OK it was nearly my fault ;) There were control characters in some of the text in the XML being imported. I removed these and it is working.

But I think this still is a bug as KeePassX should not export something it can't import. Ideally there would be an error when trying to import the original XML.

I guess the control characters got in there because of some issues with Password Gorilla running on the Mac.

Good luck !
markh
KPX user

Return to KeePassX under Mac OS