i'm finding keepassx to be unusable :-(

is keepassx 0.2.2 usable by non-technical linux users?

yes
56%
no
44%

Total votes : 9

i'm finding keepassx to be unusable :-(

Postby mrbill » 13 Jan 2008, 20:02

[fyi, i cannot 'see' to which forum this will post, sorry if it does not show up in 'keepassx underlinux]

I need a password solution with a GUI for ubuntu. My wife, my kids, my mother-in-law are all using Ubuntu now. I had hoped keepassx might serve, but...I find that, while I can search the password db (this is important), I can't import/export the same formats, I can't find prefs that are in the windows version (keepass), I can't use any plugins.......heck, on ubuntu, the apt installed version doesn't even have online help. This is more like a 2001 linux 'geek' tool than something for general use.

In short, this looks like a very early alpha project. Sorry, but I'll have to come back in a few years. I could use it, but my family most certainly could not. And moving my hundreds of passwords from mozilla and my hand-rolled encrypted-fs solution (text files......sigh) is looking to be a back-breaking exercise.

If anyone knows of solutions to these things, *please* volunteer the info.

However, from the forums views, it looks as if there are more questions than answers here.

In short, I'm back to square one. I have no idea what to use to store passwords under Linux, unless I write my own :-( [I'm a java developer, so it would almost certainly be SWT, and require too much time! :-) ]

But, hey, thanks for reading this far!

/B
mrbill
KPX user

Postby ar » 20 Jan 2008, 22:42

I find keepassx very simple to use, particularly friendly for non geeks.

You can store and organize your passwords in folders, you can search them, and if you are a bit technical you can use the autotype feature in exactly the same way as the windows version.

So yes, for me any non-geek can use this in zero time with zero hassles. I don't believe any non-geek does exports/imports or use plugins. Even security-conscious geeks probably don't use 3rd party plugins either.

With a bit more polishing that is coming in the next release it is simply a great app. I've been using it for a year and a half or perhaps more, I don't even remember, and I have yet to have a problem with it. Before linux, I used the original keepass under windows as well; when dual-booting I shared the db (again, zero problems), and nowadays it's just linux.

my $0.02
ar
KPX user

KeePassX just doesn't work anymore

Postby dons » 23 Jan 2008, 16:45

I have been using keepass under windows for close to a year. I am trying to make the switch to Linux at home. I am not a Linux geek but I am trying to learn.

KeePassX suddenly stopped working on both my Ubuntu and OS X boxes. It will no longer open my keepass database. It will occasionally open an older version of the database but not reliably. I have searched the forums and the web to no avail. I have appealed for help a number of time but have had no response.

I appreciate that the developers are busy and that they are doing this for free, but what good is free software if it doesn't work? At this point I'd be happy to pay for it if I could get reliability.

Just my thoughts and not intended to offend anyone.
dons
KPX user

Postby bilbo_b » 25 Jan 2008, 11:14

ar wrote:... and if you are a bit technical you can use the autotype feature in exactly the same way as the windows version...

Can you please tell me how you do that ? In Windows im pressing some Keys and the Autotype fills in any form or login. under keepassx i found now way to do this. this is the only thing, what is not so good on keepassx.

i have used keepass under windows (classic version) and on my windows mobile pda the pda version. the new 2.x version are a pain to use but they are at alpha stage, but the requirment of the .NET Framework is a realy bad idea. is unusable with the dependencies on this library for portable useage. so my hope is keepassx, since i work on linux at home all the time and at work under this buggy windows xp. but so i can share the password db without any problem and without to install such a buggy thing like .NET...
bilbo_b
KPX user

Postby HDave » 14 Mar 2008, 17:50

I find this program reliable and very simple to use. Don't understand how everyone has so many problems!
HDave
KPX user

Postby Tarek » 14 Mar 2008, 19:11

mrbill wrote:Sorry, but I'll have to come back in a few years.

Please don't.
Tarek
Admin

Postby catkin » 25 Jun 2008, 13:11

bilbo_b wrote:
ar wrote:... and if you are a bit technical you can use the autotype feature in exactly the same way as the windows version...

Can you please tell me how you do that ?
Me too!

Just loaded ubuntu Hardy and KPX 0.2.2-3 (migrating from WXP) and can't find out how to do it yet.

I may be a "a bit technical", having been computing since before IBM introduced the PC including time as an IBM mainframe systems programmer and a UNIX and Windows systems admin!
catkin
KPX user

Postby swguy » 25 Jun 2008, 22:08

The basic method to migrate from Windows to Linux is to either import or copy your entries into KeePass 1.1 in Windows. Then move the database to Linux and open it in KeePassX.

I was using Roboform, so I copied my data (almost 200 entries) into KeePass in Windows one entry at a time using the same groups as in Roboform. Then I just moved the database created in Windows to Ubuntu and KeePassX opened it without any glitches.

While I haven't found anything in the Linux world that compares with Roboform for automation, KeePassX seems to be the best choice right now.
swguy
KPX user

Auto-type, Autofill and migrating from RoboForm

Postby catkin » 26 Jun 2008, 05:24

swguy wrote:The basic method to migrate from Windows to Linux is to either import or copy your entries into KeePass 1.1 in Windows. Then move the database to Linux and open it in KeePassX.

I was using Roboform, so I copied my data (almost 200 entries) into KeePass in Windows one entry at a time using the same groups as in Roboform. Then I just moved the database created in Windows to Ubuntu and KeePassX opened it without any glitches.

While I haven't found anything in the Linux world that compares with Roboform for automation, KeePassX seems to be the best choice right now.

Thanks swguy :)

Sorry - when I wrote "it", I meant using auto-type, not the whole WXP/KeePass to Linux/KeePassX migration. Here's what I concluded (from my notes): "Could not find out how to use Auto-Type to send username/password to Firefox. May not be fully functional until version 0.3 which is not yet stable for Hardy."

Regards something like RoboForm functionality, Autofill may eventually provide it. From my notes again: "An alternative may be Firefox plug-in "Autofill Forms" (https://blueimp.net/mozilla/ and http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=537839&st=0&sk=t&sd=a) but it is not mature enough yet, lacking especially documentation."

When migrating from RoboForm with its lack of export facilities, it was helpful to print the database to a text only printer with output directed to file -- easier than copy-and-paste from RoboForm itself.
catkin
KPX user

Q: KeePass version for database compatibility?

Postby catkin » 26 Jun 2008, 06:16

swguy wrote:The basic method to migrate from Windows to Linux is to either import or copy your entries into KeePass 1.1 in Windows. Then move the database to Linux and open it in KeePassX.

Hi swguy :)

Is "KeePass 1.1" a typo? I understand KeePass version 1 databases are compatible with KeePassX, so that would be "KeePass 1.x" ... ?
catkin
KPX user

Re: Auto-type, Autofill and migrating from RoboForm

Postby Magic Speller » 27 Jan 2009, 09:16

catkin wrote:When migrating from RoboForm with its lack of export facilities, it was helpful to print the database to a text only printer with output directed to file -- easier than copy-and-paste from RoboForm itself.

Charles, if you're still there, can you elaborate, please? (Or anyone else, feel free to jump in.)

After printing to file your RoboForm database, how did you use it? Were you able to import the file somehow, or what? I'm still trying to figure out some way to move my hundreds of RoboForm passwords to KeePass without spending several days on it.
:(

Thanks in advance....
Magic Speller
KPX user

Return to KeePassX under Linux